This soup is a winner in our home. Even the picky eaters love it!
1 medium yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
1 small potato
1 small sweet potato
½ a parsnip
1 bell pepper, any colour
1 or two zucchini
3 stalks kale
¾ cup crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
Sea Salt and Black Pepper
1) Peel and chop the vegetables.
2) Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté onion on medium heat. Add garlic.
3) Add in order: potato, sweet potato, carrots, parsnip, bell pepper, zucchini and kale.
4) Saute until all the vegetables are soft.
5) Season with salt and pepper.
6) Add water to cover and turn up heat to bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7) Remove soup from heat and blend with an immersion blender or in batches in a cuisinart.
8) Stir in crushed tomatoes and adjust seasonings.
9) Serve with crusty bread, a dollop of sour cream or yogurt or some melted cheese.